This page aims to document the release process of veloren. It first describes an overview and has more detailed chapters for single steps
- roughly select a release-date and communicate that to internal parties (Note: it might be changed is not official yet!)
- The following questions are answered:
- What is the theme of this party
- what features should be definitely in it, what features might get in
- a map responsible is chosen, we plan how it will look like
- a trailer responsible is chosen, we plan what it should contain
- a release blog writer is chosen
- a responsible for the feature freeze is chosen
- a responsible for the release-binary is chosen
- a responsible for social-media posts is chosen
- a schedule for the party is created, we plan activities, how long they will take and responsibles for those activities
- a gitlab Milestone is created to track progress of this release.
- pick a final release date when core devs (e.g. Angle, xMac) are available and responsibles can make it.
- feedback from the activities, trailer and map responsibles is discussed, what is their state, what do they plan. Do they need to adjust? Can they make the schedule?
- feature freeze schedule is posted
- Blog is prepared and written
- Posts are prepared and written
- Map is ready enough for the trailer
- Activities are ready enough for the trailer
- Map and Activities are reviewed by Core Devs
- Features that are necessary are collected and are planned who reviews and merging is done.
- Trailer is ready enough to be reviewed
- Trailer is reviewed by Core Devs
- Schedule is applied over the next week and watched by responsible
- all tasks are completed and are waiting to be executed
- the trailer is uploaded and live
- the Blog post is uploaded and live
- Posts are done
- upload map and activities to the server
- Release commit is merged and Release Binaries are distributed
- Discuss pro and contra of the release party
# v0.xx Release ## Responsibles blog: trailer: map: feature-freeze: release-binary: social-media: ## Overview Theme is: `` Rough Release day is: `` Included features are: - Excluded features are: - Party Schedule is: - 18:00 GMT+0 start of party ## Checklist Sunday Meeting: - [ ] Fixed Release day is: `` *(T-1 month)* - [ } Map is approved by CoreDevs - [ } Activities are approved by CoreDevs - [ } Trailer is approved by CoreDevs Blog: - [ ] release blog is prepared *(T-1 month)* - [ ] release blog is uploaded *(T-1 week)* Trailer: - [ ] trailer is ready for review *(T-2 weeks)* - [ ] trailer is uploaded *(T-1 week)* Map: - [ ] map is ready for review *(T-3 weeks)* - [ ] map is uploaded *(T-8 hours)* Feature-freeze: - [ ] freeze-period is announced to public in #town-hall *(T-1 month)* - [ ] Feature Freeze is enforced *(T-1 week)* Release-Binary: - [ ] Release Binaries are producuded uploaded and verified *(T-8 hours)* Social-Media: - [ ] posts are prepared *(T-1 month)* - [ ] posts are uploaded uploaded *(T-8 hours)*
- T-1 week @NewsPingSquad @MediaPingSquad
- T-30 mins @everyone
- T-8 hours reddit/
- T-8 hours twitter
Hey @Contributor @DevPingSquad , **0.13 release is on Saturday, 2022-07-23 18:00 GMT** As usual, there will be a **feature freeze** starting from 2022-07-16 18:00 GMT. We recommend submitting critical and large MRs for review now, before the feature freeze. This release will also have a **stress test event** between the feature freeze and the release. We will be sharing further details of this later. __Getting your large MR merged before feature freeze__ Please mention @xMAC94x#2493 in the <#992383235332001942> thread with a short summary with the following details (the more, the better): * What is complete * What needs to be done * Can your feature be partially introduced to master in its current state (as multiple MRs)? * Do you foresee any issues with your MR and if so, which ones? * Why should this feature be in 0.13? This is required to align our testing and review strategies to ensure a smooth release. **Schedule** `` 2022-07-16 18:00:00 GMT Feature freeze — No new feature MRs will be merged. 2022-07-18 18:00:00 GMT Stress test event. 2022-07-22 10:00:00 GMT Total freeze — no new merges will be introduced unless they're critical. 2022-07-22 16:00:00 GMT Release build will be compiled. 2022-07-23 12:00:00 GMT Main server hardware upgrade. 2022-07-23 18:00:00 GMT Release party! ``
- Copy over CHANGELOG, update only
voxygencrates - the others are on a independent semver. example MR
- create release branch from master
git checkout -b "r0.12"
- create release tag
git tag -a "v0.12.0" -m "release 0.12.0"
- push release tag
git push --tag "v0.12.0"
- verify a release tag pipeline runs: https://gitlab.com/veloren/veloren/-/pipelines
- verify release container is build: https://gitlab.com/veloren/veloren/container_registry
- add link to https://veloren.net/download-other/
- create a release on gitlab
- verify a release binary is copied to wasabi